01 November 2007

Problem Solving Tank-style


Warning: The following post contains remarks about the male anatomy (through the mouth of a three year old).

We currently only have one bathroom. We gutted our main bathroom because of water issues and for various reasons we haven't fixed it yet. That means that in our 2-story house, the only working toilet is in the basement. For seven people.

Tank, the youngest member of our mob, therefore has his own private potty chair that sits in the dining room. Easy access prevents accidents. At least that's the theory. The following conversation transpired during one of his "#2 sessions."

Tank: Mommy, are these my balls? (investigating and grabbing his body in a way that would make a grown man wince)
Mommy: Yes, Tank. Those are your balls.
Tank: Can I get them out? (continuing the investigation)
Mommy: No, sweetie. They have to stay in there.
Tank: *pauses* I know! (looks up at me) I can get them out through my penis!

Now that's creativity! That's problem-solving! That's looking at a situation and seeing the possibilities! Unfortunately that doesn't solve his problem today. But I like to think of it as a glimpse into the future as to what type of man he's going to be. The world may tell him "no," but he won't accept it. He'll find a way.

Now, if he can only survive himself until then.

No comments: