25 November 2007

If only we all were so honest...

Sometimes my kids can totally surprise me. Well, actually they totally surprise me with messes, destruction and inappropriate comments and questions all the time. Let me rephrase.

Sometimes my kids act in such sweet and/or responsible ways that I am completely amazed. (Much better and more accurate) Last night it was Scoochy.

Dug and I were on our respective computers doing computery things when Scoochy came down the stairs in a heap of tears. She's a very sensitive one, prone to overreact, and I have to be careful not to trivialize how she responds to situations. I wasn't careful last night. As she walked up to me I immediately sent her to her dad. (I'll be honest, I didn't want to deal with her.) After some hard to understand sentences, (You know how it is when you're crying. Your voice is a few octaves higher and there are irregular breathing gasps sprinkled throughout.) Dug asked what she thought should happen, Scoochy responded with more tear-filled, unintelligible words. I was over at the dining room table hearing just enough to pique my curiosity and paying just enough attention to not know what was going on. Dug called me over.

Dug: Scoochy has something she wants to tell you.

Scoochy: Mommy, I've been lying about something for a very long time.


Me: What is it, sweetie?


Scoochy: I've been stealing lots of candy for a long time.


Me: Where from?
(Thoughts of under-floorboard hoards filled with hundreds of candy bars, the work of months of shoplifting, fill my mind. Should we return them? throw them away? eat them? My mind is reeling as I look at my little criminal. Is this how it's going to be now? Dug and I nervously looking at each other whenever a police siren passes?)

Scoochy: From the candy bowl.
(I let out a sigh, releasing the stress only a parent whose child has been acquitted could understand.) Do you remember Dodge's gummy worms? The ones that Tank got in trouble for eating? I ate them. I snuck into the candy bowl and ate lots of candy. I just need to tell you. I don't want to lie anymore.

Dug: I asked her what she thinks should happen now. What do you think, Scoochy?


Scoochy: No more sweets or dessert until Christmas.
(Ouch.)

Me: Wow! That's a punishment.
(I was just about to suggest a lighter sentence when Dug spoke up.)

Dug: Okay, no sweets or desserts until Christmas.
(Dads...without them our kids would be wussies.)

Then, Dug and I helped Scoochy ask God for forgiveness and strength to do the right thing in the future. Can you believe it? Her little heart couldn't take it anymore. She had to come clean. When our kids respond to their guilt in such a contrite and humble manner, it amazes me. It becomes one of those moments where they become the teachers and, if we are wise and let ourselves, we become the students.

Scoochy can read really well now. She just walked in a few minutes ago and started reading what I had typed. At first she didn't want me to share this story with you. But when I told her that people would think highly of her for being honest and making the right choice, she gave me permission. I don't think it would be so easy for me to lay out my mistakes for all to see, even if it did end with a good final decision. Ahhh...chalk one more up for children.

3 comments:

mostly ugly said...

Ciara, you are a darling little girl ~ we love you. Admitting you are wrong is never easy and I am very proud of you. I love you, Mel

Anonymous said...

aww..ciara =D coming clean needs a lot of courage, im so proud of you! was i that honest when i was your age? hey maybe, i should confess something to parents ;D

Anonymous said...

Ciara
We are so proud of you for being a brave girl and telling the truth. I know how hard it was to give up dessert until Christmas, we will be praying for you.